Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Henry and Titanic 2012

my beach :)
"A Day of Sunshine" 
"And over me unrolls on high
The splendid scenery of the sky,
Where through a sapphire sea the sun
Sails like a golden galleon.
Through every fiber of my brain,
Through every nerve, through every vein,
I feel the electric thrill, the touch
Of life that seems almost, too much..."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I stumbled upon Henry's poetic genius not long ago.
I know, ghastly that it has taken me so long.
His is a name I have heard often through the annals of school life growing up. 
But I never really took the time to appreciate his words.
Actually I'm not sure I ever read anything by him before.
I was usually struggling to keep my eyes open in English class in High School.
{Shhh...don't tell my dad, he was an english teacher-although never mine :(  ...)

Poetry can be an acquired taste I think.
Sometimes it's just really hard to figure out what the hey they are trying to say, no?

But not always :)

Do you like poetry?? If so I'd love for you to recommend me some other poet loveliness.
Henry...he's pretty straightforward and yet paints a brilliant picture with his words.

I would encourage you to read some more of his poems if ever you have the chance.
They just might uplift and inspire you today with a little poet-tryfied goodness.
 ______________________________
 I love Saturdays.
I woke up and made some steller pancakes. 
Really, I'm quite a pro at it.
I flipped some through the air in the general direction of my roommates' plates.

We all scarfed them down.

Have you met my roommates on here?
Officially?
I don't think so.
I will introduce you later.

Anyways, I'm off to see my grandparents here shortly.
The family usually tries to gather round on the weekends, whether planned or not.
Family in this Italian girl's life is super duper important.
They also make me laugh. A lot.

Good times...

_____________________________

I have to gush a little about this Movie Spotlight:

A little while back when I posted about
Titanic Blood and Steel coming out I confused the writers and said
Julian Fellowes directed it instead of Andrew Davies.
My bad and one of my lovely bloggy friends, Rissi, kindly pointed that out.

Well, Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) did write the script for this version:

Titanic 2012 
which was released this year in tribute to the
100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking.
stellar cast
I knew I heard his name linked in somewhere, somehow.

Okay, I'm a little late to the ballgame, but here's my two cents on this lovely:

I happened to catch site of this on my Instant Netflix.
Where I then promptly watched all four episodes and was so
pleasantly surprised I watched it twice in the same week!

If you would like a detailed, more indepth review of this movie click on Miss Rissi's link above.

We all know I don't have the patience to go very in depth with my reviews on here, 
I just like displaying pretty pictures and giving you the briefest synopsis that I can muster and still sound somewhat knowledgeable and smart.
 
I LOVED this series.

It follows the stories of a few families and single peoples from all walks of life- from the servants to the crew members to the upper class as they all embark on this fateful journey.

The story is "rehashed" in each of the four episodes only delivered from different people's perspectives up until the initial impact, and then in the last episode the story progresses beyond the immediate hitting of the iceberg.  

As a result, giving us a kind of fresh take on the movie compared to previous versions before
that proceed from start to finish spending long, agonizing time on the actual sinking.

This version doesn't do that.


And I have to say, some of the story lines, while they hint that the people did not make it,
hey, if they didn't show them succumbing to icy water drowning deaths--I'm going with--they lived!
Don't burst my bubble.
Three cheers for the optimist view!

I sobbed uncontrollably enough viewing this story as a 14 year old when I watched the 97 version with poor Rose and Jack flopping through the water for like an hour and a half of agony.
Fifteen years later and I'm still perplexed why Rose didn't move her butt over 
so Jack could get out of the water???

Anyhoo, this new version received mixed reviews with most of the complaints centering on too many stories going on with not enough attention spent with each one.
Kinda my complaint with Downton...
But...
While I agree, I would have loved to see more of the important storylines in this version because seriously, can one ever get enough of good costume drama-ry?-4 hours is just not enough for good storytelling, it was still overall phenomenally well acted and an enjoyable viewing experience.

Let me know your thoughts!





7 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH! Another fan of this version!? YES!

    *High Five*

    I was one of the FEW who actually liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Your new profile pic is cute. :-)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely a fan! High five back at ya!

      Sweet I'm so happy you liked it too :) If you look at it on the whole, all of the great cast and acting --while it def had some flaws and I wish they could have focused more on certain stories for sure, I was still captivated and drawn in. That is me. I'm sure someone else watching it might come to a different conclusion and they are very welcome to that... but when you compare it to so much other crap that comes out, good Costume Drama wins out for me everytime, it's not hard to make me a fan haha...

      And thank you for your lovely compliment and taking the time to comment :))

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poem by Henry. Love it as I do your writings and musings. I will have to check out the Titantic 2012 and I agree...why didn't she move over and make room for Jack.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nonnie for your lovely comment :)) It is quite a lovely poem for sure and I only included a portion of it. There's more if you look it up... LOL---you see, I knew I wasn't the only one about Rose and Jack haha :) Def rent this one :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm going to have to check this out - I bet I would love it! (Based on the fact that I saw the movie in theaters an embarrassing number of times when I was fourteen.) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Emily: Yes, you definitely should check this one out...haha I was right there with you watching the original blockbuster...quite a pivotal part of my 14th year :)) Thanks for taking the time to comment girly, I know you're super busy!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...