Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Parade's End and a Note of Thanks

I haven't said it enough, but I'm going to say it now.
I appreciate all of you who take the time out of your busy lives to read my random posts on this here bloggy and all of your dear comments and encouragement and ideas and thoughts and critiques and criticisms.

The whole shabang.

And I even love those odd spammer commentors who are from like Nepal and whose comments are usually in broken English and never have anything to do with the post that I've just written but never fail to end with a "God Bless you".

Hey, I'll take that blessing, yes sirree. So thank you.

You all are brilliantly supportive and I appreciate every last one of you and wish we could all meet face to face instead of screen to screen.

But this will have to do for now...

Others of you, I get to see in person and for that I am doubly blessed :)

So if you ever find yourself darkening the pages of this blog, do take a second to comment. Know that I appreciate you and read every comment and respond back as quickly as I can.

And I love to find new blogs to read and follow too so don't be shy!
 ___________________________


Quick Costume Drama Spotlight for those of you who can't get enough of good British telecasting (you know who you are :)

  Parade's End (2012)
Based on a novel series of the same name written by
Ford Madox Ford between 1924-1928

The books have had critical acclaim by esteemed literary peoples.
 Ranked No. 57 on the Modern Library's 100 Best Literary Novels of the 20th Century.

So...

that's something, huh?

What's it about?

It's about a rich dude who is also a soldier. 
(Benedict Cumberbatch aka Sherlock Holmes/War Horse)

Set in England and on the Front during World War 1

He's married to a flighty, irreverent socialite who is not so nice.
They have a child, whom he is not even sure is his own.

He starts to fall in love with a woman of conviction and a suffragette to boot.
But then rumors start to swirl about them before anything really happens
which causes a lot of drama.

The story toggles back and forth between all three of their lives, 
and from when he is at home
to when he is at war.
_______________

For my own self, I think this warrants a further peak due to the acclaim of the novels.
I'm not sure if this one is a winner or not or if it's just going to be frustrating.

But I leave that to you to decide for your selves.

Let me know what you think and if you've seen it!




Happy Viewing!




10 comments:

  1. I watched the preview and could not figure out what the movie was about! Thanks for the info! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I'm glad this was a help to you KatySue! :) Thanks for stopping by girly!

      Delete
  2. Nobody has seen the whole thing yet but I've read the books. Repeatedly. They are quite special & the series promises to be excellent....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @notBridget: Oh wow, so you really liked the books. That's good to know! I will have to check them out now when I get a chance. I LOVE to read and enjoy good writing. I like Benedict as an actor and think if he is in it, I'm sure it will be well acted. It's on my watch list... :) Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, looks like an interesting movie! May have to go on my watchlist:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lauren: yes, it does, right?? We shall see...I believe it is in the process of airing rightnow in Britian. So eventually we will get it our way on PBS or something. Or we'll be left with sneaky Internet subterfuge to try and find it and watch it. Not that I am recommending that per se :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parade's End premieres August 24th on the BBC; there are 5 hour-long episodes. HBO will show it in 2013 but the date has not been set.

    Amazon.UK will begin shipping DVD's on October 1st; I've got an all-region player....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thanks for the great update about tv listings and sale dates! wahooo! So jealous that you have an all region. I thought about getting one years ago, but then never did. And now I must languish till these fair movies come out over here. Let us know what you think of it when you see it!! Thanks girly :)

      Delete
  7. Your costume-drama world looks like so much fun to live in! NOW I know why you dress so well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jayca: yay, I do tend to gush over them just a little bit... Born in the wrong time and place I think hahaha...thanks for stopping by!!!!!! Looking forward to working with you!!! I think I'm going to add a few more exclamation points in this reply!!!!!!

    :)Jeanine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...