Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Literary Heroine Blog Party!

Announcing the 2nd Annual Literary Heroine Blog Party!

Hosted by Kellie over at Accordion To Kellie

It is open from Feb 16-29. Questions to answer and prizes are located at the link above.

I had so much fun answering these, I think those of you who enjoy reading should definitely join in!

Kellie has a brilliant, eclectic blog chock full of good stuff. And she lives in a tent.  

How cool is that??

1. Introduce yourself!
Well...
• if you pass me on the sidewalk, you may not look twice.
i'm quite an ordinary girl
 with an inordinate obsession 
for books, the written word, and
sheafs of paper bound by a threadbare binding.
ahh yes.
if they could bottle the smell of that musty paged treasure found 
in a forgotten bookstore nook,
i'd buy it!   
yeah. that might be a little weird.
but then i didn't say i wasn't.
• drinking beverages, particularly hot ones, with friends
in coffee shops and music venues, long walks or just crashing at 
home with a good movie is my idea of a grand time.
• my plan is to strap my turkey sized cat, Mr Matty Pancks onto my back
and trek across the globe in hot pursuit of a meaningful life devoted to serving God,
running a successful business and surrounding myself with all things vintage loveliness.
_________________________________________________________________ 
  
2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?
a heroine is flawed. she recognizes this somewhere down the line. 
she grows. allows herself to change. takes risks. falls hard. gets back up. 
lives and learns. loves hopelessly. and loves truly. 
she is a woman of brilliance wrapped in a cloak of ordinary.
identifiable.
a true heroine is every woman, no?

_________________________________________________________________ 

3. Share 4 heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
1. Eowyn who single-handedly slays the Witch-king of Angmar in JRR Tokien's LOTR
She desperately wants to be part of the action with the menfolk and courageously defend her home, despite colossal odds against her. I would have booted Merry off his pony and rode along with her.

She also gets to marry hunky Faromir–not too shabby either.
When the Witch King is taunting her with a prophecy that no man will slay him, how cool is her response: “No living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and king. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.” (Return of the King, 1955) Suh-weet
2. Jane Eyre had such a brutal childhood but she grew up to be a poised, compassionate woman of principle and morals and remained without bitterness (even returning to care for her evil dying aunt) and then forgiving Rochester for his deceit and lies and gave him a second chance even though he was missing like half his face in the end.
I would have liked to be her friend :)

3. Anne Shirley was a red-headed GENIUS. She was a lonely little orphan who confronted life with the sheer force of her imagination and fiery personality. 
And she liked to bop boys over their heads with slates. 
This sounds fun to me.

4. Agnes Grey was the title character of an Anne Bronte novel. Loved how she boldly
faced a new future as a governess despite her family's misfortune's and persevered through the rearing of a bunch of rich, savage children whilst keeping her humor and sanity.
She knew who she was, not based on status or how society saw her and in staying 
true to that, managed to start her own school and catch 
the eye of the man she had loved from afar.
 A plus!
_________________________________________________________________
4. Five of your favorite Historical Novels?
1. the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
2. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
3. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte– a must read!
4. Evelina by Francis Burney– absolutely brilliant
5. all historical novels by Julie Klassen :) Love her!

_________________________________________________________________ 

5. Out of those five books who is your fav main character & why?
okay, does anyone NOT think Sir Percy Blakeney (the Scarlet Pimpernel)
 is the height of dapper, dangerous, heroic, and excessively cool 
in all of his alluring male literary character-ness?

_________________________________________________________________ 

6. Out of those five books who is your fav 2ndary character & why?
uhhhhh...thinking...
book number 3– Shirley, is titled after one of the characters so Caroline Helstone would technically be considered 2ndary than right? 
if so, i pick her. 
i felt so sorry for her, pining away and all alone in life, despairing of all happiness but 
she rallied and in the end well, you will just have to read it to find out what happens to her :)

_________________________________________________________________ 

6. What would your dream vacation look like?
Dream vacation would consist of this,


including little bit of this,


and a whole lotta this,

_________________________________________________________________ 

7. What's your favorite time period and culture to read about?
 I love the late 1700's around the French Revolution and Americano  Rev–good stuff.
But then I also love Victorian culture and historical novels.
Okay, narrowed down to the 1700's and 1800's.
_________________________________________________________________ 

8. You have been invited to perform at a local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?
oh dear.
it would be horrors for you to hear me sing,
and i certainly wouldn't be considered funny–unless you were considerably tipsy,
so i'm going to go with recitation.

_________________________________________________________________ 

9. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?   
 ohh yes please. how fun would this be?
well, pshaw, Lady Marguerite Blakeney, of course.
because then i would be married to Sir Percy.
Duh.
_________________________________________________________________ 

10. What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?
 chocolate is a prerequisite to a deliciously scrumptious life.

_________________________________________________________________ 

11. Who is your favorite author(s)?
well, the above mentioned authors, need do apply.
 
_________________________________________________________________ 

12. Besides essentials, what would you take on a 
visiting voyage to a foreign land?
   my SLR camera, 
a Tea Kettle, 
my Bible, 
Mr Matty Pancks, 
oh, and my lovely sister because I 
like to drag her along with me everywhere I go.

_________________________________________________________________ 

13. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is…
the ultimate hero besides Sir Percy, I'm going to go with...drum roll...Sherlock Holmes
because he was a crime solving, death defying superstar!

_________________________________________________________________ 

14. Describe your ideal dwelling place?
• a cozy and quaint hovel. [I just wanted to use the word "hovel" in a sentence].
If I had endless money I would buy an old, dilapidated house with lots of character and fix it up
like this one.
 or this lovely is nice,

• but then sometimes I'm in the mood for living in a city townhouse near central park
like this one,
_________________________________________________________________ 

13. Sum up your fashion style in five words.
absolutely chic, constantly evolving Vogue-a-licious
:))
_________________________________________________________________ 

14. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name?
Yes. If you are a writer, please use names the general public can pronounce without
having to look for a bottle of Tylenol after seeing it on the page a hundred times. 

_________________________________________________________________ 

15. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...?
the great and all seeing Eye from Lord of the Rings, 
to be supplanted 
only by Lady Catherine De Bourgh.
_________________________________________________________________ 

16. Three favorite Non-fiction books? 
currently:
Writing Fiction for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson
Radical by David Platt
always:
The Bible

_________________________________________________________________ 

17. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose 
to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
 exploring through not often traversed trails and meadows would be lovely,
followed by a lovely seafood dinner, including mandatory chocolate anything dessert.

_________________________________________________________________ 

18. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a 
way as will best portray your true character.
shimmery black silken wide brimmed hat with a voluminous bow adorning the top
(not sure how this could portray anything to do with my character but it certainly would be cute :)

_________________________________________________________________ 

19. Share the most significant event(s) that have 
marked your life in the past year
my beautiful, lovely giving and compassionate mother passed away.
my life can never be the same.
but I am thankful that I am a better person for having 
had her example and love in my life for as long as God blessed us with her.

_________________________________________________________________ 

19. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been 
most inspiring to you recently.
1 Peter 4:8-11 New King James Version
And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. 10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
_________________________________________________________________ 

The End.

21 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post :D

    Have to say that I agree with three of your four heroines (I haven't read Agnes Grey so can't comment on her). Three of the best that ever there were!

    And I once said that Sauron and Lady Catherine de Bourgh were on a par as villains - great minds! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!I'm so thrilled you agree. They are fab, too true. And how funny is that–– Sauron and the Bourgh?? They are equally on par with one another–great minds do think alike! LOL :)) So happy you stopped by, girly :)

      Delete
  2. lovely answers! I've just started Scarlet Pimpernel (after seeing it so talked about on this blog event) I know I'll like it!

    I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. My Dad was killed in a car accident last July, so I kinda know how rough it is. Isn't it good to know that we have a God that always holds us and loves us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm excited that you are going to read the book. It was very good and it is actually part of a whole series, which I have to say I only ever read the first one. Still, let me know what you think! I was noticing a pattern there with some of the other bloggers, too, lol...what can be said––Sir Percy is a superior kind of fellow :)

      So very sorry to hear about your Dad passing, Amanda. There is really nothing to compare it to, in one's life, when a close one dies, too soon. I know I would never be able to make it through without God's upholding grace. And I pray He continues to shower you with it as well. Wish I could give you a big hug in person, but instead will have to settle for sending you hugs from across the miles. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, Jeanine! We're so alike it's almost scary! (In a good way!)
    DEBOURGH - EEWWW, yes. PERCY! SHERLOCK! (though I prefer the BBC Sherlock played by Benedict Cumberbatch to R.D.Jr. =D)
    Allons-y!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love it, Mirriam! :)) Scary good, yes :)) I really love Benedict C's version as the new Sherlock...And Jeremy Brett will always hold a special place in my heart because I grew up watching his Holmes' series. Downey is good, but in more of a hollywood-ized version, not bad, just different. But yeah, not my absolute favorite Holmes. I do like the promo photos for the new movies, though :) Thank you for stopping by and commenting :))

      Delete
  4. Hello:)
    I LOVED reading your answers!!
    First off, I LOVE your cat's name=)
    Your list of 5 heroines was perfect, although I've never read Agnes Grey. I'll have to fix that;)
    Sir Percy Blakeney!!! *squeal* Oh, sorry. I couldn't help it. *grin*
    And Sherlock Holmes has been one of my favorite hero's for years...yet I always forget to add him to my list. Rather sad. I hope he isn't offended at my neglect.
    I laughed so hard at your answer to #14. ;)
    Sauron is definitely a dastardly villain! Oh, so creepy scary.

    I am so sorry that your mom passed away. I can't even begin to image how hard that must be.

    Blessings,
    ~Tasha~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by Natasha! And so happy you "got" my Kitty's name?? Not many people recognize whom he's named after heh heh (thank you Little Dorrit) and I certainly do not think Sherlock will mind you unintentional snub heehee :)) He's pretty thick skinned.

      And thank you for your thoughts about my mother, I appreciate it very much.

      :)) Jeanine

      Delete
  5. I wonder how your cat would take to being strapped to your back for a trip? For your sake, I hope he's a good traveler!

    I love the second photo of your dream home, by the way! Though it looks like a lot of leaves to rake!

    Have you seen the new Sherlock movies? I've been wanting to, but haven't found folks to watch it with yet. Maybe I can bribe my sister to join my audience...

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom--that's really tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what Mr. Pancks will think of the journey, or his mode of travel, but I'm not going to give him any choices...heehee

      I have seen the new Sherlock movies, personally I thought the second one better than the first. Fantastic cinematography. The new BBC series is quite intriguing as well with Benedict Cumberbatch. Love sherlock holmes!!

      Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words :)

      Jeanine

      Delete
  6. I am so glad our paths have crossed - your answers really made my day:)
    Mr Matty Pancks - genius. Trekking across the globe in hot pursuit of a meaningful life devoted to serving God, running a successful business and surrounding oneself with all things vintage loveliness - Sublime.

    May I join you for that carefree summer afternoon? It sounds perfectly perfect! So does your dream vacation. And so is Sir Percy Blakeney. :)

    And chocolate is a prerequisite to a deliciously scrumptious life.
    Amen.

    Have a wonderful day, and I'm sending a warm hug your way for your great loss.
    Blessings,
    --Kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comments :))) So glad you stopped by and so delighted with your inspired idea for this blog party. Bravo girly! :)))

      Thank you :)

      Jeanine

      Delete
  7. I loved your introduction, it made me smile and want to come and drink hot beverages with you sometime! =)
    I think I need to read the Scarlet Pimpernel, most of the girls have included that book in their posts!
    Yeah for another Sherlock fan, though I do have to agree with Mirriam I love Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come drink hot beverages with me any time :)) I'll save you a seat :))
      Lol, I know, so many are just so fond of that Blakeney fellow...genius, I tell ya...
      Always so much fun to meet Sherlock fans :))

      Thanks for stopping by KatySue!!

      Jeanine

      Delete
  8. I so enjoyed reading your answers! I loved what you said about a true heroine being every woman. Jane Eyre and Anne Shirley are most certainly two of my favorites. I laughed at the Eye being second to Lady Catherine! I love the new Sherlock movies. They are so different and fun!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I can't imagine how hard that must be.
    Blessings,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words and thoughts on this posting––I'm so glad we agree :) and that you stopped by...and I appreciate your thoughts for my mother. Thank you.

      Can't wait to hop on over to your posting, now :)))

      Jeanine

      Delete
  9. Ah!! You make me want to read Shirley!! I own a copy and will probably read it later this year. And I'm SOOOO glad to see you pick Agnes Grey as a favorite heroine. I love her too. :)

    Also, Sherlock Holmes? Excellent choice. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You should read Shirley (I admit I skipped over first 5 chapters––it has in my opinion little to do with the whole story) but once you get beyond those the story in my opinion really starts and it's a good one :))

      I love that you love Agnes too! She is not as known as most of the other literary heroines. I loved her spunk and sometimes sarcasm––to me, very reminiscent of Jane Austen's style for her heroines :)

      Thanks for coming by Jillian!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog post! I responded to a few things there and then had to hop over here to read your responses :)

    I LOVE your definition of a heroine, especially this delicious line: "she is a woman of brilliance wrapped in a cloak of ordinary."

    I haven't read Agnes Grey, Villette or The Scarlet Pimpernel. AH! They're all on my "to read" list now! But I also love Julie Klassen. I love finding people who enjoy her books!

    And I'm pretty sure I want to climb through the computer screen into the picture you chose for your dream vacation. GORGEOUS.

    I love your dream of restoring an older home into something nice. There's just something about the idea of restoration (be it people or houses) that's just so beautiful.

    P.S. Love your blog! I've been browsing around, and I'm so obsessed! I adore costume dramas and am finding SO many that I haven't seen yet. ::insert happy squeal here::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad to meet another Klassen fan. She really is a brilliant writer. I find her novels not so predictable as far as heroine/hero...lots of interesting characters always mixed in.

      Restoring old homes, that sounds like it should be a show on TLC or something. I think it is such a brilliant idea-– and people too :)) Redeeming that which was lost, right?

      I'm so glad you found some good flicks on here! You must share with me your thoughts on the ones you do see. I am always so interested in hearing other people's takes on them :) I know I am always so excited to unearth one I've never seen too :) Delightful.

      Thanks so much for stopping by Hannah!

      Delete
  11. I love all of this! I feel like I know you so much better! I'm sorry I missed this! I hate being absent from the blog world. The one downside of college...well, one of many! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...