Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Here's to You and the New


Another Christmas, which drew near and tarried for a fleeting moment, 
has gone and departed for distant shores until next year.

It came with all of its swiftness. 
All of its crazy, wait until last minute kind of shopping sprees, and racking the brain for gift ideas. 
And all of it's charm and delight.

And of course, another first without my mom.
But she was not forgotten amidst my family's time together.

My brother flew in from L.A. 
(You should see We Bought A Zoo–he's one of the extras in the opening of the zoo scene at the end of the movie :))
My dad converted all of our old home movies into DVD's.
I was able to hear my beautiful mother's voice again. And see her lovely face on screen.
It was great.

We laughed a lot at wonderful memories.
Funny, awkward growing up milestones and moments, captured from our youth.
Seems ages ago, and yet, kinda like it was just yesterday, too.
Christmas has a way of bringing out the youth in us all and it seemed like such an appropriate time to revisit those days. And acknowledge how much we've all grown. Changed. 

Things are not what they were 20 years ago, not even one year ago.
Life is a constant progression of adjusting. Metamorphosing into something new.
Grappling with tests and trials.
Hoping to come out on the victor's side.

Knowing we have each other to depend on if it feels like the screws are all going to come flying loose. And yes, sometimes they do. 
And that's ok.


I guess what I wanted to say as this year draws to a close is that I am thankful that we made it. 
You and I, both.

I know I am not the only one who has had to face trials and obstacles flung at them from every conceivable corner, this year. I'm sure you have had many as well to bear.

For myself, I can say, I was brought to my breaking point.
Never knew what that could feel like and I hope I never have to again.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Christ is really who he said He was because
He picked me up and set me back on my feet when I thought I was drowning.
And because I never would have been able to regain peace and joy if it wasn't for Him.

I am so thankful that He is in my life.

I could never hope to make it on my own.

Nothing happens by chance with God.
He sees everything we go through. He knows.

I'm relieved in many ways to leave behind this year.
Taking with me the best of what was and keeping my eyes open for what is to come.

As Elisabeth Gaskell so aptly put it:
Try as we might, happy as we were (or weren't always), we can never go back.

And that's ok, too.

So here's to moving forward.

I'm so thankful for my friends and family who have stood by me and helped me through every step of the way this year. And to you, my blogging friends, who are always so encouraging and brilliant. I love you all.

Thank you for continuing on in the journey with me.

And here's to you and me my friends as we start something totally brand new and fresh.

See you on the other side of 2012!


"Give me your best Robert De Nero imitation" heehee

THE END.




11 comments:

  1. Excellent post and photos. Too many emotions for me to expel here. Here's to that fresh 2012 you mentioned. love you muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! What a great set of pictures! It looks like you have an awesome family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful pictures, looks like you guys had an awesome time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers love. Lets actually hang out outside of work this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super fantastic post, so lovely, sincere, and full of beautiful images. I just had to laugh out loud at the DeNiro impressions ~ awesome! xxx Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nonnie: Thank you. And I know. You don't have to say a word :) And I'm trying to look forward to that fresh start, too.

    @Naomi: Aww thank you girly and I hope your New Year ahead is absolutely fantastic and better than the last one.

    @SarahJean: Yes we will! :)) Don't give up on me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have such a beautiful family! They don't pose awkwardly at all! It looks like you had such a beautiful Christmas despite all of the changes and difficulties. I haven't been on blogspot for awhile so I didn't read this until today, and it was just at the right time. My family is going through stuff right now too, and this was really encouraging. Christ is still on the throne! Merry belated Christmas and here's to a New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Jeanine, you look just like your mom. I love that picture of your mom and you and Jess and Joey when you were little. Your mom was a gorgeous woman. Now I know why you and Jess are so beautiful. I so enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...