Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

We Seek Him Here...We Seek Him There...


I must say, Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel has remained one of my all time favorite literature classics–both to read and to watch (particularly the adaptation starring Anthony Andrews). I am fascinated by the French Revolutionary time period. I love the elements of secret identities, double lives, rescue missions across country borders and estranged love set to right.

Um...yes, please.

Of course you can imagine my delight then, when I heard the Brits are coming out with a new adaptation!
"We want to try and do to the story of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" what Guy Ritchie did to 'Sherlock Holmes', said the movie's producer James Black. "and will star upcoming Brit actor Neil Jackson, in the leading role..."
Fantastic, I say! Can't wait. It is scheduled for beginning of '12 possibly.

Neil Jackson, the new Sir Percy

Of course if you really need a Sir Percy fix, than you really need to see, the best version so far, in my humble opinion: 1982's lovely with Anthony Andres. Divine. He's the perfect Percy. And Jane Seymour as Lady Blakeney.

Can't stress the brilliance of this version enough. Do not be put off by the year it came out.

This was one of the best things to come out of the 80's :)) No lie.

Well, until this new movie ever comes out, I'll have to be satisfied with cracking open the pages of my well-worn copy and travel back to those turbulent times in European history, joining the ranks of the dashing, Sir Percy Blakeney, as he makes cunning plans to thwart the French at every turn with fellow members of the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel.


So yeah! I would encourage you to pick up a copy and see for yourself why this book has stood the passage of time and remains a great classic. And then watch the movie!

Happy Viewing.

1 comment:

  1. Neil Jackson is the best actor perfect for the role cant wait for the movie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...