Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Upstairs, downstairs, upon my lady's window...


Upstairs Downstairs
this week's period drama review...
This new take on the old mini-series is set, like its predecessor, at 165 Eaton Place, in England.
I never watched the original series which aired in the 1970's, so for me, this story is brand new.

UD seems to be of similar makeup as Downton Abbey; giving glimpses into
the lives of servants and upper class, and the daily dramas that unfold in such a household
where these varying class sets converge and diverge.



The time is 1936. It follows the life of Mr. and Mrs. Holland–a diplomat and his wife–
as they move into their newly renovated, posh London residence.
His mother and her sister descend upon their new digs
and then, my friends, the drama begins to unfold!

Rumors swirl amongst their acquaintances of Nazi fascism, looming European unrest, royal gossip concerning Mrs Wallace Simpson and Edward, and societal change.

I wont go into too much detail, and will let you draw your own conclusions as to
the merit of this new period drama. I'll just say, I'm intrigued. :)

If you have the time and inclination, check out this new BBC drama and form your own opinion.



You can view this mini-series on Instant Amazon.com, or rent it on Netflix.

Let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...