Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ugly Stepsisters...

Had to post above image because I just love this cover art!!
"Now in these shriveled days, when light is not as full as it used to be, the luxury of imported china is long gone. We sip out of clay bowls, and when they crack we throw them on the back heap, to be buried by oak leaves. All green things brown. I hear the youthful story of my family played out by children in the streets..."
-Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
This Week's Period Drama Spotlight

Based on the 1999 novel by Gregory Maguire (author of Wicked):
   
Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister 

This newer and original retelling of an old and traditional fairy tale is charming and a
lovely addition to any collector or viewer of all things period drama related.

The "ugly" stepsisters...

Clara (or Cinderella) and the Stepmother

This is a retelling of the classic story by Iris, the oldest step-sister. She is plain, quiet, and 
endeavors to keep the peace between her sisters while looking after the needs of her family. 
She discovers a love for painting where she meets Caspar, a master painter's apprentice and 
someone whom her mother of course, disapproves of.

Due to a precarious financial situation that the family finds themselves in, the girls mother 
devises a plan to send her own two girls to a grand ball in hopes that they will win the eye of the prince and restore their dignity and wealth. 

She fears Clara would only seek to disown her new family in her selfishness if she were to win him
and so she is locked away for the night. But for love of their new step-sister the girls devise their own plan to include her and deliver her to the ball.

So goes this fairy tale...

It reminded me a little of Ever After.
Loved that movie as a teenager (and still do :))

I love a good twist on a much loved classic and I believe you will too with this one.

You can watch this on youtube (although the quality isn't great) or you can buy it 
quite cheaply on Amazon.com



As always...

Happy Viewing!


3 comments:

  1. Where did you find this one on Amazon???? I have been looking everywhere for it - I LOVE this movie. So sweet - and like you say reminiscent of Ever After.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sad! When I originally posted this, I found amazon selling the movie, but I just went on there now and there's no sign of it. :(( Youtube is the only place I know to actually view it...but I bet if you dig hard, you might be able to find it somewhere out there online. Let me know if you do!!

      Delete
  2. I figured it wasn't available there anymore, but just thought I'd ask. I have been browsing here and there for it, and might have found it one place. I need to go re-check it, and I will definitely let you know, Jeanine! Thanks bunches. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...