Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

There's A Hanging In Cater Street

Period Drama Spotlight This Week:

I do love a good mystery...and pair this with Victorian England in the 1880's...throw in a few murders, thick London fog, a deranged psycho path, a savvy inspector, and a bit of a 
love story and well, my friends–there you go: a winning combo! 


The Cater Street Hangman was written in 1991 by Anne Perry and the movie released in the mid-90's. The book that it is based on is the first in a series about the Inspector and Charlotte Ellison. I have read some critics describe it as kind of–Austen meets Sherlock Holmes.
So you can imagine how happy I was to stumble across it just recently.

I found it to be a good whodunit mystery that follows the investigation of an Inspector Pitt, into a series of murders of young women along Cater Street in London, and his interactions with the Ellison family, who find themselves in the middle of it all.

I think it would be great if someone remade this movie for today. Seeing how they seem to be in a bit of a rut with remaking the same classics over and over again into period dramas...why not try something new? I think there are areas the material / lines could have been improved upon–more fleshed out with followed story lines a little further. But all in all,
I thought it was a most agreeable viewing experience,
and it kept me guessing until the very end!

Can't really beat a period drama murder mystery... 

Nope.

As a result, I have also decided I am going to buy the book.
Yes, I do believe it will be an even better read. 

Let me know if you get a chance to see it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...