Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Secret of Moonacre


"How can I possibly go to live in the country? It's full of...the countryside." 

So says the heroine of this week's period drama spotlight.
Now traditionally I tend to highlight "classic" literature adaptations to screen, e.g., Austen, 
Gaskell, Dickens etc...

But I happened upon seeing a trailer of this delightful film awhile back 
and never had the opportunity to view it. And since it is set in the past,
costumes are most definitely involved, and there is drama to be had, well then...
Need I say more...??

So without further adieu, let me introduce you to...

The Secret of Moonacre
Screen adaptation of Elizabeth Goudge's novel The Little White Horse
 Maria Merryweather receives an old dusty book as inheritance from her 
recently deceased father, and little else since the poor man's estate is eaten in debt.
She scarcely has time to read the fairy tale within its pages before moving in with her uncle, who promptly takes it away from her, as it apparently disturbs him.
Life soon begins to reveal strange parallels to the story and even
stranger events begin to happen. Suddenly Maria is faced with a monumental task of 
uniting feuding families, restoring lost love, and figuring out what the heck 
kind of outlandish mess she has landed herself into.

While this story is written for young adults...I admit to having enjoyed it thoroughly.
It was charming, whimsical, sometimes comical, quirky, 
and even redemptive. 

So if you have the opportunity, I would recommend a viewing of
this fun, artistically filmed movie...and do let me know what you think!

((And in my opinion, worth a viewing for the sumptuously designed 
costumes and set design alone!))


You can rent this film from Amazon, Netflix or Blockbuster, and I'm sure anywhere else movies are rented or sold :)

Happy Viewing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm just watching this film now and I was so enchanted by the costumes and set design that I've been Googling to find out more -- hence finding your site. Now I'm signing up for your posts because like you I love tea, period dramas, beautiful design and magical things. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! I'm so glad you stopped by :)) I absolutely loved the costumes and setting of this thoroughly whimsical movie too. Quite a magical little gem :) Thank you so much for sharing and so nice to *meet* you!! :))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...