Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Inspired Waiting

Life is made up of many experiences and lessons.
All crammed into days, hours, minutes, and seconds...

It revolves around events–Big, and small. Interesting, and boring, Compelling, and mundane. Lovely, and grotesque.  Exhilarating, and miserable.

These occurrences, that happen frequently, occasionally, or never, seem to have one thing in common. At least what I have noticed, in my own life is:

They all seem to be punctuated by waiting.

Waiting by definition: 
a delay in action until a particular time, or until something else happens 

Sometimes–it feels like I will be continually and perpetually stuck waiting for the rest of my life! I'm waiting here for something–anything to happen.

• Waiting to finish school.
• Waiting to find Mr Right. (before I'm 50, God, please.)
• Waiting for direction on where I should live for the next season of my life.
• Waiting for God to clue me in on which areas to focus my time and talents on.
• Waiting for that next paycheck. (because I still have not mastered saving and budgeting)
• Waiting for The King's Speech. (hurry, hurry and release in theaters by me, already!)
• Waiting for somebody to call me back for a job interview.
• Waiting to feel like I have finally found my purpose in life.

waiting, waiting, waiting...

Yeah, the more thoughts of everything I'm waiting for, pop into my mind, I find I loathe that word EVEN MORE. Sheesh.
I guess waiting goes hand in hand with Patience though, huh?

It's one of those fruits we are supposed to be cultivating in our lives as followers of Jesus...

Hmmm...

Why is he so interested in us developing this, I ask?

Like, seriously God, why is it so important for us to wait for things? To be resolute and steadfast while doing so? To not waver but remain hopeful and full of faith for what is to come?

As I was thinking about it, I began to see him in a new light.

He has been waiting on us, his people, to get our acts together for the past um–thousands of years. The whole of human history, really. He has patiently waited while we have screwed up and chosen other things over him.

Choosing Egypt life over Promised Land living. 

Choosing to grumble and complain over our lots in life instead of remaining faithful for the good that is surely to come after these turbulent or mundane times.

He is waiting for his people to rise up and receive a revelation of our true purpose in life: to lay everything down and take up our cross and follow him to wherever he chooses to lead us–nevermind our carefully constructed and mapped out 20 year life goals. But to follow His plan.

I am coming to realize that he is developing a very real God-characteristic in us, if we let him. One that he has chosen to demonstrate on our behalf innumerable time before.  

3Moreover let us also be full of joy now! Let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance.
    4And endurance develops maturity of character –approved faith and tried integrity. And character of this sort produces the habit of joyful and confident hope of eternal salvation.
    5Such hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us.
Romans 5:3-5

I am determined to patiently wait and rejoice while doing it! Because my ultimate goal should be to endeavor to be just like Him–in everything.

Jesus had to wait 30 years before he stepped into his ministry and the purpose for his coming to Earth. I'm pretty sure he didn't grumble and complain about it.

God has been waiting for his Bride to be perfected for the past, what–13 thousand years? (all of you Bible theologians don't jump down my throat at the probable gross error in my calculations,  you get the point)

He asks us to only persevere–through what he has already had to live through on our behalf. And since he has walked this earth, in our very shoes–I know, he knows, exactly how we feel.
So I am encouraged. And determined. To not be impatient and ungrateful for where I am at in my life right now. For having to wait. And be resolute. Because I have great hope for what is to come. And I know there is great purpose in the right now

And if patience and waiting wasn't an important part of our developing character, then he wouldn't make us bother with it anyways! 
    
"The Lord is not slow in keeping his word, as he seems to some, but he is waiting in mercy for you, not desiring the destruction of any, but that all may be turned from their evil ways." 2 Peter 3:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...