Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

"I have seen Hell and it's snow white..."


The title of this post is a quote from the heroine of this week's period drama spotlight.

It is a lovely, gripping, portrayal of the life of a previously privileged southern (British) girl
whose family has been uprooted from their tranquil, comfortable lives and deposited into
dirty, noisy Victorian England's industrial north.

 BBC's North and South
adapted from the novel by Elisabeth Gaskell
Margaret Hale, played by Daniela Denby-Ashe, cannot hide her immediate distaste for
this new place, nor for the money obsessed mill owners who contribute to the grime and perpetuate the crowded and harsh workplace conditions.

*Enter Mr. Thornton. Rich and alluring and cotton mill owner.
(Played by Richard Armitage)


Let's just say sparks start flying...
 (and misunderstandings and injustices and social prejudices
and issues of class and gender and loyalty and 
honor all mixed up in there too)


Elisabeth Gaskellthe author, actually wrote this story in 1855.
• She also wrote such tales as Cranford and Wives and Daughters
• She married William Gaskell who also was a writer and a minister
• She had four daughters


North and South remains one of her best known novels.
And this BBC adaptation does a very fine job of bringing this story to life.

The story starts off a bit low key and mellow but then as it builds, becomes
increasingly more engaging and captivating.

Personally, it's one of my favorite BBC adaptations of a literary classic. It's a bit darker
than the more popular lighter Period Dramas (ie Austen) but the story is rich and
wont disappoint.

And of course there's Mr. Thornton. Um...Need I say more?


North and South part 1
click here to see the first part...


Happy viewing!



6 comments:

  1. AHHHH!!!! This is perhaps one of my all time favourite BBC dramas as well! And the music is simply amazing! I used to listen to the soundtrack via youtube while teaching last year and even my kids didn't complain about it! And of course there is Thornton... with his incredibly intense stare...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Ohhh I absolutely love the soundtrack as well...soo beautiful. How neat that you were able to play it in class! I wish my teachers did that when I was in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I see that you already know about this fabulous miniseries. Yes, even the music is very moving. I find it quite haunting and so much fits this production. I have it downloaded and play it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh btw, I have a HUGE crush on Richard Armitage now since streaming this back in January. He is so handsome and sexy. I don't know how Daniela was able to get through that scene at the train station with Richard looking at her like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favourite period dramas! The music is amazing and the costumes...drool. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sarah:Yes, mine toooooo :) It's been a little while since I viewed it and I think I'm overdue :) Love, love! Thanks for stopping by Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...